Accountant – Part Time
20-25 hours per week
Fixed Term Contract – February 2022 to October 2022
Potential for permanent
A role with purpose, bringing commercial skills to the Impact Investment market for a Better Waikato For Everyone Forever.
Momentum Waikato Community Foundation is an independent, leadership organisation that aims to shake things up and get change happening. They are an agency for high impact philanthropic giving within the Waikato region and a leader in transformation projects with people who don’t just want to talk about change but get in and make it happen. They link a network of existing, and bring on board new generous donors to strategic impact investments targeted at transformational change, whilst building a permanent endowment for the benefit of generations to come. The endowment is on target to reach $40M after just six years of operations and plans are in place to reach $300M by 2045.
Momentum Waikato works by pooling funds to have a greater impact in bringing about positive and powerful social change. The Foundation is a member of the Community Foundations of New Zealand, and part of a global movement where communities are taking back responsibility for finding solutions to their own challenges.
Committed to serving donors who want to improve their own local patch, community foundations pool and distribute charitable gifts from generous donors, creating impact now and forever. The Foundation invests endowed funds with the proceeds of the endowment fund used to invest in impact projects in affordable housing, youth education and development, environmental impact and community connection and access.
The 1300 seat, $80m Waikato Regional Theatre is the organisation’s flagship transformational project which begins construction in early 2022, and they have affordable housing and wellness village projects in play across the city and region totalling some $18m.
As an apolitical leadership agency, they act as a neutral convenor, connector and impact investor with a special focus on catalysing and investing in transformational intergenerational strategic outcomes for the Waikato. They are a small, well connected, professional team of seven with Waikato’s best governance board who bring humour and energy to deliver a ‘Better Waikato For Everyone Forever’.
This accounting position oversees and undertakes the financial transactions and reporting for the foundation as well as contributing to the overall performance. Whilst the position is broad, the key deliverables include:
- Oversight of bank balances and cashflow for the foundation
- Accounts Payable and Receivable using Xero
- Reconciling and processing staff expenses, mileage claims and credit card transactions
- Maintaining and updating the general ledger
- Fund administration and liaison with Investment Partners regarding reports, monitoring investment portfolios and drawdown requests
- Developing systems, processes, and frameworks to further support the foundation’s operations
- Financial reporting to the Board of Trustees including the financial dashboard, balance sheet, P&L and fund summary
- Supporting the processing of annual accounts
- Processing the end of year donor reports
- Assisting in the annual budget preparation
- Supporting the Development Manager with funding applications
- Processing fortnightly payroll using Xero Payroll
- Managing GST compliance and payments
- Managing project cashflows and accountabilities
The preferred candidate will demonstrate:
- Proven accounting knowledge (qualification not essential)
- Knowledge of financial reporting, budgets and cashflow
- Strong Xero and Excel skills
- A true passion for the philanthropic/impact investment sectors
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a consultative approach
- Well-developed organisational and problem-solving skills
- Proven innovative thinking
- An agile approach and ability to embrace change
- A professional demeanour and ability to relate well to people from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and ages
If 2022 is your year for change, and you are keen to secure a position that will allow you to enjoy a good break over Xmas, we’d love to hear from you! There is flexibility with how the hours are worked, and apart from having a presence in the office each Tuesday and Wednesday, some of your hours can be worked from home.